SearchThisBlog

Friday, May 1, 2015

Baltimore's Mother or the year

Big ups to Toya Graham, the Baltimore mother who was captured on video knocking her son upside his head for trying to participate in the Freddie Gray riots there. But I propose a question to whomever is willing to listen. When I went upside my children heads for acting up in school or doing something they were not supposed to be doing, I was threatened with a 'child protective service' visit. Did I not do the same thing to my child that Toya Graham did to hers? Where's my 'mother of the year' award? I was told that spanking is abusive. Well if 'spanking', is abusive, what is it that Toya Graham did to her son? America is praising her actions right now but on the other hand, what is America going to do when the riots are over and someone else is captured whooping or laying hands on their child? Are they going to become national hero's too?Now it may seem that I am coming off as a hater but that is far from the truth. Toya Graham is my shero because she exposed a form of punishment that many black mothers use when our children are out of hand. It is just something that we have to do and no law is going to change that. When our kids are in the wrong we do something about it regardless if it means jail time or a removal from the home. It is just what we do  and some folk call it 'abusive'. Please, on behalf of Toya Graham and black mothers across the land, let us chastise our own children accordingly. I pray that we do not have to go upside out children heads. But if a parent refuses to disciplined an unruly child then the child will grow up to be unruly.
(Proverbs 13:24).
Toya Graham prevented her child from being unruly. And at the end of the day, the child was thankful and understood that his mother was only looking out for him.
So that is my say so. What so you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment